Colorado Summer & Fall Recreation
No matter what time of year you visit, Salida, Colorado is an ideal vacation spot. This area abounds with outdoor activities, wonderful restaurants, and unique tours, as well as a variety of art galleries, specialty shops, concerts, theater performances and historic sites to enjoy. Use the information and links below to start planning your Salida getaway today. Then contact us at the Salida Super 8 Motel for reservations.
Hot Springs Pools and Spas
To Native Americans, hot springs were sacred places. To today’s active, harried humans, hot springs are slices of heaven where you rejuvenate the body in soothing, naturally mineral-rich waters. Historic Salida Hot Springs Aquatic Center (right across the street) is a family-friendly public indoor facility. Open-air creekside facilities can be found at Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort outside Nathrop and Cottonwood Hot Springs Inn and Spa just west of Buena Vista. Ready for a real hot springs experience? Visit Joyful Journey in the San Luis Valley. Arrive just before sunset and you will see why the mountains are called the Sangre de Cristo (Blood of Christ) Mountains. Visit our Hot Springs Packages page for information about our special deals.
White-water rafting on the Arkansas River
We work with American Adventure Expeditions, they have a great deal of experience in the world of rafting, our guests have had great experiences. The team at 4 Corners Rafting, will do a do a great job with 1/2 day, full day and multi-day rafting experiences. Visit our Whitewater Rafting Packages page for information about our special deals.
Hiking and Climbing Colorado’s Fourteeners
During your stay enjoy hiking and climbing in the Sawatch Mountains, Collegiate Peaks, Sangre de Cristo range or many other local destinations. We are proud to have 15 of Colorado’s “fourteener” mountains nearby. We found a great website about the Fourteeners Information.
Horseback Riding the High Country
Take scenic rides through sage meadows, aspen glens and evergreen forests. Mt. Princeton Riding Stables provides a fantastic riding experience. A great way to see the fall colors.
Bicycling the Arkansas River Valley
Take a fun ride through town on an old-fashioned “town bike,” check out some of our nice road bike rides or try some of the great local mountain bike trails, including the famous Crest Trail and Rainbow Trail. Do not miss Absolute Bikes! Shawn and his team are just wonderful. They have terrific maps of the options in our area. If you are ready to try the Crest Trail you can use High Valley Shuttle. Nathan Ward has written books on Mtn Biking, Road Biking and Hikes in the Salida area. Check it out.
Trout fishing in the Arkansas River
Great fly fishing opportunities also exist on some of our smaller streams. Ask about lake and pond fishing for a family fishing experience. Rod and Greg at Arkanglers have a superior crew and know all the county’s secrets. Visit our Fly Fishing Packages page for information about our special deals.
Four-wheel driving/ATV/Dirt Biking/Transam Trail
Head to the mountains for fantastic high-altitude scenic views. Visit some historic ghost towns, mining locales, or the highest mineral collecting park in North America on Mount Antero. Jeep Rental. You can rent ATV’s from All Seasons Rental, located just down the road from our hotel. Take in a real live Ghost Town. Salida is located on the Trans America Trail, an off road coast to coast motorcycle trail. Click here for more information Trans America Trail Trans America Trail Web Site.
Want more summer fun?
- Guests may enjoy meals alfresco on our Barbecue & Picnic Patio!
- Enjoy a restful afternoon in one of Salida’s shady parks.
- Take a trip to beautiful alpine O’Haver Lake.
- Kayak down the Arkansas River slalom course Kayaking/Duckie on the Arkansas. Take a kayaking course from RMOC. Try the newest craze… duckies…inflatable kayaks what a trip!
- Try rock-climbing along the Arkansas River.
- Check out local rock and gem shops and some great rock hounding areas. Chaffee County – (Gem Collecting) has some of the most beautiful Colorado Aquamarines you have ever seen. We are renowned as the highest gem collecting area in North American.
- Relax by the pool and sun on our deck.
Colorado Winter and Spring Recreation
- Enjoy some of Colorado’s best powder at Monarch Mountain. Unspoiled since 1938. Monarch Mountain. Visit our all inclusive ski Monarch packages.
- How about trying your hand with our world famous Cat Skiing. Read this article Ski Monarch Cat Skiing
- Reward yourself with a long soak in our hot tub afterwards.
- Rent a snowmobile and explore some astounding mountain trails. For guided tours we recommend Monarch Snowmobile Tours. Every tour that we have taken with Bill’s crew has been fantastic and full of fun. Our guests rave about their experience with Monarch Tours. For machine rental we recommend All Seasons Rental. They will take the sleds to the trailhead for you, provide maps and send you on your way.
- Ice skate on nearby lakes and ponds.
- Explore some of the gorgeous scenery on cross-country skis. The back-country and telemark skiing is great on Monarch pass, while track skiers and skate skiers will enjoy three different sets of groomed trails in Leadville.Cross Country Information
- Go ice fishing on a local pond with your kids or drive a bit for an extraordinarily scenic experience on Twin Lakes.
- Snowshoe into a quiet winter wonderland.
Colorado Year ‘Round Recreation
- Take a walking tour of historic downtown Salida.
- The Salida Steamplant features year round concerts, theatrical performances and gallery shows. Its beautiful location on the river brings you to the heart of Salida. Salida Steam Plant
- Join the cheerful locals in one of our many wonderful restaurants, sample the wares of the local bakery, coffee shop, brew pub, or winery. At Cafe Dawn you can sample a variety of wonderful live entertainment, sit on the deck and sip your favorite coffee beverage.
- Swim or soak at the Salida Hot Springs Pool or one of the other developed hot springs in the area.
- Visit the National Mining Museum in Leadville.
- Experience the stupendous Royal Gorge bridge and narrow gauge train. Enjoy the dinner or gourmet lunch. Royal Gorge Route
- Visit Great Sand Dunes National Park nearby.
- Ask us about scenic drives of all lengths.
- Visit the shops, antique stores and many unique art galleries in Historic Downtown Salida and elsewhere in the area.
- Pamper yourself with a massage from a local therapist. Joyful Journey or Cottonwood Hot Springs
- Roller blade or walk our new trail system
- How about a Zip Line Tour. It is a real thrilling experience: Captain Zip Line.
- Have you visited our vibrant art galleries: Chivvis & Lovell, Mountain Spirits, The Green Cat, Brodeur Art Gallery, and the Bungled Jungle.
Salida, Colorado is a happenin’ kind of place! Visit our local newspaper The Mountain Mail to see what is happening.
Area special events are listed online at Salida.com and at the Chaffee County Visitors Guide online at Events Listing.